Thursday, June 7, 2007

Welcome!

Welcome to Loonies And Sense. Allow me to introduce myself:

I'm a 31-year-old living and working in Toronto. Yes, that Toronto. In 2001, I graduated from university with a Master's degree in Statistics, and started working for one of the big five Canadian banks. Since then, I have managed to rack up over $20,000 in consumer debt. There are excuses for a lot of this amount, but excuses don't make the debt any smaller. I've finally decided that enough is enough: I am going to dig myself out of this hole, and put myself on a firm financial footing. This blog will follow the story of how I got to where I am, and how I will get to where I want to be.

As I plan and scheme to set my finances back on the right track, I've spent a lot of time reading personal finance blogs. I've been intrigued by what I've found:

  • A hugely supportive community of bloggers and commenters providing advice and encouragement to each other

  • Several bloggers generating "passive income" through their writing

  • A wealth of universal advice on personal finance, frugality and productivity

  • A lot of information specifically applicable to those who live in the United States

All of the above have motivated me to write about my experiences, but it's the last point that finally spurred me into action. While topics such as the importance of having an emergency fund, or advice on frugal living, can apply to everyone, discussions of Roth vs. Traditional IRAs are of limited use to those of us north of the border.

That, in a nutshell, is why I'm here. I won't be writing exclusively about Canadian topics, but I will be including specific information, from interest rates to tax tips, that applies to Canadians and their finances. I am certainly not an expert on personal finance (Canadian or otherwise), but I am determined to fill in the gaps, and to share what I learn with the rest of you.


Please keep in mind that all material posted here (except where otherwise noted) is strictly my personal opinion, and that your mileage may vary. Please conduct your own research before acting on anything you read here (or anywhere else).


Now, let's get started on those finances...

No comments: