Friday, July 11, 2008

When did I become a Luddite?

The iPhone came to Canada today.

Canadians are now getting their first (legal) taste of Apple's iPhone, with the release of the new iPhone 3G through Rogers Communications.

Walking to work this morning, I passed a long line of early adopters crowding the entrance to a Rogers store waiting to sate their techno-lust. Watching these people mill around in anticipation, I couldn't help but wonder when I became such a Luddite. I'm only 32; I should be trembling with excitement over the release of a new technological marvel, not shaking my head in exasperation at all this ruckus over a cell phone.

I have to admit, part of my lack of excitement is financial. According to CBCNews.ca, Rogers is offering the world's second-most expensive iPhone, with a three-year cost of $2,176 for early adopters, or $2,572 if you wait until after August 31 to sign up. CBCNews.ca has an interactive map of the participating countries' iPhone costs, if you're interested in comparing.

The prospect of surfing the web on my phone just doesn't do that much for me. Some of the "location-aware" features are pretty cool, like searching for restaurants in your vicinity, but my cell phone is still very much a "when needed" tool, and I have no interest in making it such a core part of my day-to-day life.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'll be hanging onto my perfectly serviceable 4G iPod and Samsung D807 a while longer.

Now get off my lawn, you kids!

4 comments:

Shevy said...

I had to laugh when I saw the title of your post.

Check out my post What's on Your iPod? from June. I was also wondering when this phenomenon affected me.

I'm not getting an iPhone because I just got a free Blackberry!

Jenna said...

Don't feel too old, the big 3-0 won't hit me for another 15 months and I STILL can't figure out what all of fuss is about (really sad when you take into account my husband is a geek of epic standing).

Should I feel terrible that I finally had to google "blackberries" to figure out what the hades they were?

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing and I'm 'only' 27. Actually I hate the thought of having emails on my cell, why would I want to be contactable all the time?
I like apple products but I don't think they could pay me to get this. Quite honestly I mostly use my current cell to play sudoku.
Oh and belated congratulations to ms loonie on the new job!

Anonymous said...

>>I'm only 32; I should be trembling with excitement over the release of a new technological marvel, not shaking my head in exasperation at all this ruckus over a cell phone.

Nah. That's what we've all been branded to think. I applaud you for thinking for yourself instead of letting marketers do it for you!