Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ah, to be young and naïve again...

Today was payday, and I've updated my progress bars and NCN Network chart. In looking at the chart, I noticed the "goal date" I set for myself when I started the blog.

My goal at the time was to be free of revolving debt by April 30, 2009.

At the risk of spoiling the ending, I have to say I'm not going to make it. A two-year payoff turns out to have been a bit unrealistic. On the one hand, I'm kind of bummed to see myself so far off this goal (I'll still have nearly half of the $27,610.74 I started with when the goal date rolls around). My shortfall is due to the choices I've made; it was possible to meet this goal, but I haven't made debt elimination enough of a priority to get there.

On the other hand, I've now reached a point where I always know exactly what my credit balances are, and I track my (ever increasing) net worth on a monthly basis. I've brought my credit usage under control, and have managed to pull off two consecutive cash-only Christmases. I have a small Emergency Fund, and Ms. Loonie and I are well on our way to saving up for our wedding next year.

Could I have been farther along if I'd made different choices? Absolutely. However, I'm miles ahead of where I was financially two years ago, and that counts for a lot.

No comments: