Thursday, March 5, 2009

Payday update - under $300K edition

I haven't done one of these in a while, but with today being payday, I thought I'd provide a quick update of my financials. My NCN Network chart has been updated with my latest revolving debt numbers.

Revolving debt is down to $14,212.71, which means I've paid off over 48% of the $27,610.74 I had when I started keeping track in April of 2007. Another $407.34, and I will have paid off half of my revolving debt. That's highly motivating.

Student loans are also dropping nicely. I recently renegotiated Ms. Loonie's interest rate, so both our loans are now at a fixed rate of 5%. Two more payments will bring my loan under $4,000, and hers under $17,000. Compare that to the respective $7,687.35 and $26,000 that we started with, and you can see the progress we've made over the past two years.

Finally, the really exciting news is that today's mortgage payment brought our principal down below $300,000, and we currently owe $299,883.42 on our mortgage. Granted, two weeks' accrued interest will boost the amount owing back up above $300K, but this is a huge milestone for us. It seems like only yesterday we finally bid adieu to our CMHC premium, but now we have a new first digit, and with our renewal date approaching and rates at all-time lows, we are in better shape every day.

I think it's safe to say that I'm happy with our progress.

No comments: