Wednesday, June 3, 2009

May update

What a difference a bullish market makes! After what felt like ages bemoaning the monthly decimation of my investment portfolio, we've had three straight months of continuous market growth. Combine that with the improving weather we've had lately, and I am one happy camper.

Let's see how I did last month:
  • Reduced my revolving debt to $12,716.58 - Since I started tracking my finances over two years ago, I've only had one month where my revolving debt increased. Otherwise, I've been making consistent forward progress, and although I'm still in "slow-and-steady" mode, I feel as though I've kicked the habit of blind spending on credit. Now whenever I make a purchase, it's effectively a cash purchase whether I use a credit card or not; either way the money is almost immediately debited from my chequing account, so I always know how much I can afford to spend before my next paycheque. I've still got the hangover from my reckless spending days, but I've learned my lesson, and things look better every day.

  • Grew my Emergency Fund to $1,832.23 - I upped my bi-weekly contributions by $10 in May, and I'll continue to do this going forward.

  • Grew our Wedding Fund to $3,160.79 - Steady progress on this front, and I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to pay cash for most, if not all, of the wedding.

    NOTE: Since this money is earmarked to be spent on our wedding next year, any valid wedding expense that we pay for from this account will not reduce my progress on this goal. This may seem like funny accounting, but the real goal here is to pay cash for the wedding, so I don't plan to penalize myself for using these funds as intended.
Now, on to my month-end update:

Assets:
Online Savings - $2,549.22
Self-Directed RSP - $40,635.38
Employer Group RSP - $14,233.60

Debts:
Revolving Debt - $12,716.58
Student Loans - $19,783.08

Net Investable Assets: $24,918.54
Net Liquid Assets: ($29,950.44)

Once again, my RRSP was buoyed by the market rally this month; along with over $600 in contributions, this rally lifted my investment balance by $5,733.85. Liquid savings took a slight dip, for a net increase of $5,673.38 in my investable assets, accompanied by a $1,183.38 drop in my non-mortgage debt.

Overall, my net investable assets increased by $6,856.76, and my net liquid assets increased by $1,122.91. My NetworthIQ profile has also been updated (including loose cash, home, car and mortgage).

Who knows if this market rally will last, but for as long as it does, I'll enjoy the ride.

No comments: