Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Fun with funds

Good news, everyone. Effective tomorrow, I'll be yammering a lot less about my goal of diversifying my retirement savings. This morning, I placed orders to buy the five index funds I've had my eye on. These index funds come in two flavours: e-Series and Investor Series. The e-Series versions have a lower MER, while the Investor Series versions have a shorter minimum holding period (30 days vs. 90 days). I went the e-Series route, since I won't be touching these investments within the next 90 days. I'm aiming for a yearly review of my asset allocation in the future, so the expense ratios are more important to me than the redemption period.

Of course, the stocks I sold yesterday continue to climb, so I'm hoping that I'll enjoy the same buoyancy once I'm finally invested in the index funds.

My investing choices at this point are not being driven by emotion, but they're certainly affecting my emotions, as I watch these fluctuations. It's a little unsettling to be making these decisions, and I hope I'm choosing wisely.

Time will tell...

No comments: