Friday, January 2, 2009

Goals for 2009

Last January I posted a set of goals for 2008, so here is my list of what I hope to accomplish this year:
  • Save $6,500 toward our wedding - Ms. Loonie and I will both be aggressively saving for this throughout the year, and I should be able to pull this together without hampering my other financial goals. A cash-only Christmas is one thing, but I really don't know how well we'll do with having a cash-only wedding. Only one way to find out, I suppose...

  • Reduce my revolving debt to $7,500 - With the increased savings in our Wedding Fund, there will be a bit less cash to throw at my debt, but this number should be manageable. That will leave me with 27.3% of my $27,610.74 starting debt.

  • Grow my Emergency Fund to $2,000 - I really just want to repeat the success that I had in 2008, and get this savings cushion back up to where it was in October.

  • Give $2,000 to charity - I'm not increasing this from my 2008 goal, but I want to make sure that we give at least as much as we did last year.

  • Weigh 195 pounds - I've got the hunger for getting in shape. I have shoes that are kind to my feet, convenient access to a gym and a squash court, and a fiancée who's also excited to get back into an exercise regimen. With all that going for me, losing some weight should be child's play.

  • Write at least three "researched" posts each month - My posting frequency really fell apart in the last half of 2008, so this is an attempt to get things back on track. In addition to my month-end and payday updates (which are highly cookie-cutter affairs), I intend to have at least three posts each month for which I need to do some background research. Hopefully, this will lead into far more than three a month, but it's a manageable goal that will get me started.

  • Be promoted to the next job level - I usually prefer to list goals over which I have control, so this one is a bit of a stretch. This really puts a concrete success measure around my wishy-washy "be productive" goal. I've recently transitioned into a sort of "pre-management" role at work, and I can leverage this opportunity by showing my aptitude for the next job level (i.e. actually leading a team). It will take a lot of work on my organizational and project management skills, but I can do it. Even if I don't actually get the promotion, I'll be very well positioned in my career development.
That's what I'm looking to get done in 2009. What are your goals for the year?

No comments: