Friday, October 26, 2007

Starting from scratch

Berko at 43 Folders asked yesterday what users would do if starting over in a new environment. As I look at the ragged piles of paper on my own workdesk, I'm very interested to read people's thoughts on this. Ideas include a second chair for guests (which I have in my cube) and a dry erase board (which I do not have).

At work, our team just completed a desktop migration from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, so my computer is actually in a fairly "fresh start" state at the moment. I'm considering re-working my Firefox and Thunderbird installations to make the most of my settings. News about the new IMAP support for Gmail and Google Calendar support for Thunderbird have really got me thinking. I'd like to have the most same-at-home-as-at-work configuration possible, so I'll be looking into these options.

I have some tinkering to do.

1 comment:

George Wenzel said...

I stumbled across a tool that makes it MUCH easier to keep things at home and at work the same - the Google Browser Sync extension for Firefox.

Basically, you install it on each Firefox installation that you are using (including Firefox Portable) and it synchronizes all your bookmarks, passwords, and even your last-open browser window. Everything can be encrypted for security, and it's an exceptionally transparent tool - it does just what it is supposed to do, and it does it unobtrusively whenever you open/close Firefox.