Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'd like to buy a piece of mind...

When it comes to language and grammar, the Internet is the ultimate "snobs vs. slobs" battlefield. If you're lucky enough to have a decent vocabulary and a basic understanding of how to use language, then it's hard not to cringe at the atrocities committed online against the written word. By the same token, if you tend to misuse or misspell words, then you can always count on a self-appointed watchdog to jump on your every error.

One of the nice things about reading blogs on a subject like personal finance is that the bloggers take great care with (and pride in) their writing, and their readers are more interested in the actual topic being discussed than in correcting the author's occasional spelling and grammar gaffes.

I admit to having high standards when I read; it pains me to find spelling errors in my favourite writers' work (I love this entrance exam to the Internet, elitist though it may be). However, I also make more than my fair share of mistakes myself, so there's no way I can point to my own writing as a "safe haven" for erudite travelers.

I don't want to be the whiny jerk leaving "I think you mean..." comments (although feel free to leave these comments here when you spot an error), but I really want to comment on a few of the more frequent misuses I've seen. What's a guy to do?

I'll let this sentence sum it up:

"I'm loath to admit that it's the misuse of words that takes its toll on my peace of mind, but I loathe the idea of giving my respected peers a piece of my mind."

Any favourite (or favorite) mistakes you've spotted here at Loonies And Sense? Let me have it!

No comments: