Saturday, March 1, 2008

February update

We've reached the end of an extra-long February, and we're now into March, so it's time for my month-end recap.

Let's start off with how I did with my February goals:
  • Reduce my revolving debt to $22,300 - I missed this one by $57.23. February was a busy month in terms of visiting friends and celebratory dinners, so we fell off the budgeting wagon for a good chunk of the month. Still, strong forward progress, and I can try harder in March.

  • Grow my Emergency Fund to $1,250 - I met this goal even before the end of the month. Once interest had posted to all my accounts, my Emergency Fund stood at $1,254.11. All I'm trying to do at this point is maintain some token forward progress.

  • Obtain copies of my credit report from each of the three Canadian reporting agencies - I have requested reports from all three agencies, and have received my Equifax and Experian (aka Northern Credit Bureaus) reports. The report from TransUnion is still outstanding. Other than a postal code error on my Equifax report, I haven't found any inaccuracies.

  • Set up an automatic monthly charitable donation - Done. I set up a monthly donation of $20 to Jazz FM, a local non-profit radio station.

  • Walk to and from work every day, and work out at least three times a week - I started out strong, but after a week with the flu, I've had a few days of taking the TTC, to avoid a relapse. I'll be back at it starting Monday.

  • Blog 30 times in February - I hit this one dead-on. Exactly 30 posts.

  • Finish my review of Getting Things Done - No progress. At this point, it feels a bit like beating a dead horse.
Now, on to my month-end update:

Assets:
Online Savings - $1,919.06
Self-Directed RSP - $37,421.38
Employer Group RSP - $9,492.70

Debts:
Credit Cards - $17,533.12
Line of Credit - $4,824.11
Student Loans - $29,013.17

Net Investable Assets: ($2,537.26)
Net Liquid Assets: ($49,451.34)

There wasn't a lot of movement this month. My liquid savings increased slightly, and with the late-February market rally, my retirement savings actually increased by more than my monthly contributions, so it was nice to see some growth there for a change. My investable assets increased by $896.25, and my debts decreased by $1,074.31.

Overall, my net investable and net liquid assets increased by $1,970.56 and $1,242.33, respectively. My NetworthIQ profile has also been updated (including loose cash, home, car and mortgage).

No comments: