Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Weighing in

One of my goals for 2008 is to lose 25 pounds. I put this out there as what I thought would be a realistic, yet significant, level of weight loss for the year. Since setting that goal, I've been doing some thinking about exactly how to go about this.

Obviously, the first step in achieving (and tracking) my weight loss is to determine where I'm starting from. So, this morning, I approached my old nemesis, the bathroom scale. I know these aren't exactly known for their accuracy, but as long as I use the same scale to track myself over time, I should at least know I'm going in the right direction.

The result: 212lbs. At a height of 6'1", this gives me a BMI of 28.0, which puts me in the "overweight" camp. So, based on my 25-pound goal for the year, I'm shooting for 187lbs by December 31, which will give me a BMI of 24.7, putting me smack in the "normal weight" range.

25 pounds was just a good-sounding number I kind of pulled out of the air, but it turns out it's actually a great goal.

Who knew?

No comments: